01 May 2012

Discovering deeper meaning and joy by making a difference

In this article: There's a significant and counter-intuitive psychological and mindset shift which must occur as we transition from job, to career and then to calling.

As an independent professional working in the space of information and transformation I make a living by making a difference. But more than that I make a living by doing that which I am deeply interested in, am passionate about, good at and which my clients find invaluable and appreciate me for.

It's my sweet-spot and there's no-thing easier, more gratifying or more fun, for me, than working with my clients.

By comparison, dealing with family issues, the kids homework, participating in think-tanks and master mind groups, and dealing with the world in general I experience in varying degrees as way more demanding, and not nearly as much fun.

This does not mean I resent it. Not at all...

That's because in my business I get to choose my clients, what problems, unmet needs and aspirations I work with. I have significant levels of influence. My calling and business -- to the extent I've gotten to grips with my business identity and systems -- is the purest expression of my talents and interests.

I don't need to go to health spa's to relax, obsess over money, go clubbing or drinking, go shopping to buy random things in the belief they will fulfil me -- if they're done as a distraction from pain and emptiness -- because my work does all of that and more. There's few other sources of greater joy or fulfilment I could imagine, other than working with my perfect clients and making that difference.

In this transition to calling, which is predictably demanding, our life and priorities get turned upside-down and inside-out. Until the time we became really clear about who we are and what it is that we're here to say and do, our joy invariably lies in the distractions and not in our work.

It's a significant shift and one which demands the exploration of new undeveloped levels of clarity, identity, mastery and skill.

No comments:

Post a Comment