31 March 2011

Changing Behaviour And The Future, Naturally And Spontaneously

Standing where I am now, in this present moment, and looking into the future and anticipating the consequences of my behaviour in that future, which I neither like nor want, is not the same as saying that my behaviour now, is wrong or bad.

And accepting my behaviour now, without judgement, and which I can clearly anticipate will have unwanted consequences in the future, is not the same as saying that I should continue behaving in the way I am.

If I truly accept that my behaviour now is going to have predictable consequences in the future, which will hurt and cause me pain. If I seriously get that. Then I will find that my behaviour now, quite spontaneously begins to change.

But for relevant change, I need more than that.

If I relax the inherent psychological self-contraction and the feeling ‘that there is something dreadfully wrong’ which accompanies it, deeply acknowledge and connect into the context within which I exist and let in the predictability of the consequences of my behaviour …
If I carefully cultivate my desire to meaningfully participate in the evolution of our species, and although I know this sounds grand and beyond me, it simply means recognising that I am evolving as an individual and as a culture, and that what I do, however insignificant it may feel, plays a vital and significant role in that evolution …

… then my behaviour quite spontaneously begins to change in a most relevant and yet unpredictable way.

And of course this changes the future in a most relevant and unpredictable way.

And this is a most contra-rational and uncomfortable position to take, and yet if I am to live a less stressed, anxious and violent and more successful life, to evolve, it is something I must find the capacity to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment