13 June 2012

Reading behaviour

My colleague says she cares about me, but consistently digs into my stuff and forgets to return them.
My partner says she loves me, but consistently bullies [ignores] me when I don't do what she wants.
My boss says he values my input, but consistently cuts me off in mid-sentence.
My children say they love me, but consistently argue with me.
My bank says it cares about me, but when in financial trouble my assets are ruthlessly seized.
My parents say they love me, but they consistently make asinine corrections.
I say I love my wife, but I consistently talk over her.
I say I love my children, but I consistently get impatient when they make mistakes.
I say I value my family more than anything, but I consistently work extremely long hours and over weekends.
I say I want to learn Chinese, but I have not even tried.
I say I want the world to change, but I don't consistently work to change myself or the world.
I say I want to get fit, but I never go to the gym.

We can say anything, but it's our behaviour and the systems we develop that are really communicating what we believe and what we want. Listen to the words, but learn to read the consistent behaviour.

In the case of conflict between words and consistent (not once off) behaviour, it's the behaviour that is communicating the truth.

If you care, consistently find ways to show that care. Or else you don’t… care.

No comments:

Post a Comment