26 March 2012

What I Believe Is Not Important

The world as it is may be difficult and challenging, but what interests me is the future. However when you think about it, it's a weird position to take since I'm not really going to be part of it. It's a future for others, our children and theirs, not for me.

So I ask myself, what's the big deal in getting all excited about a future I'm not really going to be a part of, since I don't count another 40 or so years (at best) as anything significant.

And truthfully, is this future something I want to invest my time and energy in. If it is, I ask myself, given my talents and experience what's the most productive way to do so. A way that is going to deliver the biggest bang for the buck, or the highest level of meaning and satisfaction.

One of the insights I've had is that it's not worth investing in a present or current world view which holds that there's something dreadfully wrong with the way things are. It's easier to work with the world (and myself and others) if I accept that it's evolving, which means messy, and will always be facing unique difficulties and challenges.

However are we, as so many seem to be saying, living in a dramatic time facing unique challenges including probable systemic collapse? 
Is there something really urgent and important about now?
I don't believe the answer is nearly as important as how we get to the answer, because it's in getting to the answer that best helps understanding how to participate [or not] once we've gotten there.

But, I believe there is something unique and urgent about now, something we've never know or dealt with before. A collision of drivers, changes at various levels, and consequence.

But what I believe is not important. What I believe is important is whether I can do a decent job of describing to you what I see, in a way that will empower you to be more comfortable in making that decision for yourself.

This is my mission ...

No comments:

Post a Comment